Wednesday, May 7, 2008

The Thirteenth Month

We've all grown up learning that there are 12 months in the calendar. Well, in my house, we've invented a 13th month...Home Improvement. I designate it as a month unto itself because no project in this house has ever lasted less than 4 weeks. Much to my horror, most of them have lasted way longer than that!

With the wonderful "economic stimulus rebate" due to arrive this week, hubby & I have been anguishing over how to spend this tiny fortune that our generous legislatures have seen fit to return to us. We've easily spent (in our minds) 10 times what we're getting back, so it was finally time to nail down just what we're going to use this money for.

Hubby let the cat out of the bag yesterday and spoiled my mother's day surprise. He is building me a tomato garden! This is VERY exciting for 2 reasons. First, I LOVE TOMATOES! Anyone who has known me since I was a kid, knows that I'm not kidding around when I say I LOVE TOMATOES! Second, I kill plants. Not out of frustration or malice, but because I was born with a black thumb. When it comes to all things vegetation related, keep it away from me unless you want it to die. It's sad, but true. So, not only is hubby building me a tomato garden, but he's agreed to take care of it. I literally get to enjoy the fruits (ha, ha) of his labor! I'm very excited.

Well, after lots of discussion, I made my case for building a simple deck on the back of our house. This is something we've talked about doing for a few years and now it's finally going to happen. I'm excited and terrified all at once. In addition to the tomato garden and deck projects, we've also talked about finishing the guest bathroom. Yes, we tend to take on several projects at once, that cultivate a lot of anger and frustration until they are complete, at which point we sit back and enjoy the fact that we accomplished something. That is until that feeling passes and we have to start another fun project!

Stay tuned for pics of the fun that will begin in the next couple of days!

No comments:

 

Blog Designed by: NW Designs