Thursday, January 15, 2009

The Waiting Game

There have been many moments in my life that I have eagerly anticipated throughout the years.

The first kiss.

Getting my driver's license.

Graduating high school & college.

Getting married.

Having babies.

Waiting for the acceptance letter from preschool.

SCREEEEECH. Stop the bus. Yes, you read that last one correctly.

Hubby & I are currently chewing our fingernails waiting for February 2nd, which is the first possible day that we will find out if Big A has gotten into a new preschool program in our city. It's VERY hard to get into and we know that we're #19 on the waiting list. The unknown variable here is how many spots will be open to pull from the waiting list when the time comes.

"Why?" you ask are we doing this? Here's the simple answer. The public schools in this area are AWFUL. Since we're not financially equipped to send our kids to private school, we are trying desperately to get her into the only public school in the county that I think is great. (And it IS great!) However, it's a magnet school and they take zoned kids first, teacher kids second, kids from their 1 year preschool program third and then any remaining slots are filled by lottery. We don't live in the zone, I'm not going to become a teacher and I've never won ANYTHING in a lottery situation. So, we're going with the preschool option. And if we get Big A in, then Little A is grandfathered in. Woo hoo!!

So, cross your fingers for us in the next few weeks that we get some great news from this school. If not, I'm probably going to have to put a new hat on my already full rack: Homeschool Teacher. Heaven help me.

7 comments:

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

Ooooo...pick me, pick me. I have played that game! We lived in a horrid district. And I tried to get Katie in at a magnet school - and the only way to do that was lottery. There were 9 slots open.

The rules are if there are twins, both get in - and both names go in the pot. So really, they had an extra chance to get in. And was proven to be true when the slots were taken by three sets of twins and a set of triplets. No singles in the lot!

We tried again with Madalyn...same thing. Mostly multiples in the class.

And that is why we started homeschooling Katie. And why we moved before Madalyn started school. I will totally keep my fingers crossed for ya!

Jen said...

I can totally sympathize with you. We went through the same thing with our kids. They finally got into the magnet program when my son was in 2nd and my daughter was in K. I sent them to the reg public school because it isn't horrible, but I can definitely tell a difference now that they are in the magnet program. Good luck! I really hope Big A gets in!

Unknown said...

Are they hiring any part time aids?? You could work a couple hours, bump yourself up on the priority list AND probably get a discount in tuition...

Sticky said...

Good luck!

Jane In The Jungle said...

Hey I'll make the phone call this weekend, I knew it was getting closer!

Michelle said...

Ohhhh good luck, good luck! I really hope you get in. and hey -- if not this year, it sounds like you have next year, too, no? Or did I read that wrong?

If I wish you luck for this will you wish me luck for dual language?

Tiffany said...

Good luck with getting A in to the magnet school. We homeschool because I knew I wanted to if I ever had children BEFORE I even met my husband. When we met, we lived in Indiana and the schools there are mediocre but great compared to so many of them here in GA. The good ones are far and few between. I know some wonderful teachers and it's such a shame because the system itself is broken. But best of luck in getting A in. And if not, you will always have the support of homeschoolers around you. :)

 

Blog Designed by: NW Designs