Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I've created a monster

Birthdays weren't made to be a big deal when I was growing up. I mean, it usually consisted of a family dinner and a homemade birthday cake made by my grandma's loving hands, but no big birthday parties and such that tended to be the norm in my peer group. Which was incredibly disappointing to me. As a result, I have seriously overcompensated by going over the top with each birthday milestone that my daughters reach.


This reality became all too clear to me during dinner a few nights ago. The subject of birthday party destinations and cake decor has become the "topic du jour" at my house lately, so it was no surprise that it came up again during dinner. Little A announced that she wanted a cake with pink icing for her birthday in April. And then Big A proclaimed that SHE wanted Angelina Ballerina on her cake (in October...geesh!). At which point, Little A trumped her by demanding Max & Ruby on her cake.

And then after the little angels went to bed, mommy stressed out for hours while searching the internet for Max & Ruby birthday ANYTHING. And was not terribly surprised, but dismayed to discover that there is no licensed Max & Ruby birthday stuff out there. And the homemade stuff that IS out there is expensive. Sigh.

Note to self: Get art lessons or several ounces of creativity ASAP.

6 comments:

Shannon said...

That was the norm for me, too... my dad's bday is 5 days before mine, so a lot of times we'd just celebrate ours together!

I still have no idea what to do about the girls' bdays next month...

Unknown said...

Check out Karen Parker Stoll's blog aobut homemade, inexpensive solutions to the fancy birthday cake (in her case, Hannah Montana)

http://growing-in-grace.net/blog/archives/1174

Smoochiefrog said...

Michael's and cake decorating courses. At least the cake will be taken care of then. :)

Brandy said...

I have no idea who Max & Ruby are but I still feel for you. Maybe you can pull something from Max & Ruby and not actually have Max & Ruby on the cake?

I have no idea what I'm saying.

Angela said...

Oh, the joys of sibling rivalry! Maybe you could enlist Wolfie's help. She is hugely creative and can make all KINDS of party related stuff that is so cool!

(Or maybe, give it a week and then have this little competition again. They may come up with entirely different faves next week! LOL!)

Michelle said...

Do what I do for cakes... I buy small figurines of the character and put them atop a plain white sheetcake from Costco ;) They LOVE it.

 

Blog Designed by: NW Designs