Friday, January 16, 2009

Birthday Selfishness?

I had an epiphany last night. I was resting in bed, ready to head off to dreamland when all of sudden I blurted out to hubby, "I think I'm going to take myself to Disney World for my birthday this year." Crickets. So I said it again. And he replied, "You mean just you & me?" And I said, "No, just me alone. Remember, you said you didn't want to go back after our last visit."

So, the question is, would it be selfish (and really strange) of me to drive 8 hours to Orlando to spend a few days at the happiest place on earth for my birthday this year? And yes, I'm talking all by myself. Going to the parks that I want to visit, the stores I want to stroll around in, the attractions that I want to see and the rides that I want to ride. Complete control over the whole trip!

I've already registered my birthday with Disney for their free admission promotion, so now I'm off to see how much this little dream might actually cost to make happen. It might end up as only a dream when it's all said and done, but it sure is fun considering it!

The real question here is would my kids ever forgive me if I ran off to see Mickey Mouse without them?

11 comments:

Shelley said...

I don't think it's selfish at all. If Disney is what you enjoy, go for it. You spend all year long taking care of other people and doing for them, a few days for yourself is not uncalled for.

Unknown said...

Hmmmm.. do it now while your kids are little and won't "get" it.... any later in life and you'll have mutiney.. mutney... muteney... mutnay.... oh crud, you know what I mean.

Reillybug said...

If that's what you want to do for your birthday then do it! Birthdays are the time to be selfish!

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

I love it. And you should totally do it. And maybe bring along a friend or two or ten :-)

And I think your kids are too young to get what you are up to...

Go, go, go!

Grace said...

I think you should do it. Too often us moms forget that we have needs to be met too. Shoot, I go to Disney by myself... but then again, I only live 1 hour away.

Figure it out... do it... enjoy it!

Kori said...

Can you stop down here and pick me up? And that's enough time I could save and we could have a blast. I'm game as long as I don't have to drive alone.

And if Kat is going I'll just go over to Hotlanta ad hitch a ride with her.

Jane In The Jungle said...

Hmmm, I would give just about anything just for a weekend away by myself! I mean even in a downtown hotel, yeah desperate, LOL!! So yes, girl if you can get away with it go for it, while they are young! The older they get, the more like elephants they get....they never forget!!

brainella said...

It's a fantastic idea! I would LOVE to do that. Maybe I will... You've inspired me!

Julianne said...

Sounds blissful to me!

Jen said...

The kids will definitely forgive you. My husband and just got back from a 4 night Disney cruise (w/out the kids) and they really didn't care that much. If you get the dining plan, just think of all the great restaurants you could try. Sounds like a really fun idea!!

Michelle said...

Yeah... your kids might have a bit of a problem with that ;) But hey -- if you happen to be there when we're in Florida again, I promise you can hang with us!

 

Blog Designed by: NW Designs