Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Facebook: A Social Forum or Public Humiliation Vehicle?

Ok, I have to get something off my chest here. Shannon & I had a discussion about this yesterday as we were driving back from Atlanta. (**Editor's Note: Thanks to all for the prayers an well-wishes for our friend, Kat, who's hubby is in the hospital. He's doing better and you can read more specific details here. Another fabulous bloggy friend, Lizzy, is updating Kat's blog with daily updates)

Now, back to my rant. I made the crucial error of jumping on the Facebook bandwagon several months ago. After finally getting over wasting LOTS of time updating my status every 5 minutes, collecting flair, and taking every quiz under the sun, I've finally started using this network to reconnect with old friends and catch up on people. However, little did I know that these childhood friends would take this opportunity to post HORRIBLE old pictures of us. And then to add insult to injury, they've tagged my name all over these atrocious pics so no one can be confused as to which kid is me. Yikes.

Part of me is enjoying the trip down memory lane with all of these old childhood friends, but good grief, if I wanted to remind myself of the horrible poodle perm and giant glasses from 6th grade, I would unearth my scrapbook at home and take a quick look. And just so you know, that album is covered in dust right now. Any ideas why????

I guess I don't mind really that they're posting the pics, but I'm not thrilled that my name is all over them. And I'm not sure if most people realize that the default on Facebook when you post pics is to make them public for anyone to view. (Hey, don't get any bright ideas wiseguy!) And anyone can then comment on the pics. Oh joy.

So, I'll just retreat to my corner, suck my thumb and wait for the onslaught of humiliating childhood pics to pass. It has to be over soon, right? Yeah, I was afraid you would say that.

12 comments:

Brandy said...

Hey what are friends for if it's not humilation!

I just don't *get* the facebook thing...I'm much more a myspace fan than facebook.

Unknown said...

Did you have that guy in high school... the one with the REALLY nice car? The hottie who everyone swooned over? We had one... his name was Joel. He friend requested me yesterday. I swooned.

Kelly said...

I saw said picture...and you're being way too hard on yourself. It was the 80s, you were in middle school, can you say, "Awkward Years"?!!

You can always go on and untag yourself. Also, paybacks are hell...dig up their awkward pictures and post them ;)

Lula! said...

Um...why are we not Facebook friends?

I'm so crushed.

CMP said...

i just had someone tag me in a photo that was TERRIBLE of me!

(if you're going to tag me, at least photoshop half of my ass out before you post it please!)

i just untagged myself, hoping to deter at least some viewers.........

Unknown said...

I heard about kats hubby and have been keeping their whole family in my thoughts and prayers....

i joined FB not to long ago and have yet to figure it out completly...I keep getting 'poked' and that is really pissin me off lol

Angela said...

I know, they just keep POSTING them. I'm like STOP ALREADY. It's awful, LOL! You know you can untag yourself... I am sorely tempted on a couple.

Unknown said...

My SIL has been posting old pics like crazy. It is the new facebook craze. Luckily for me no old pictures have been unearthed of yours truly. I did however post one of Paul when he was about 16! I was like Wow my hubby was a stud before I was even BORN!

Julie H said...

I just went to a scrapbooking retreat and spent the whole time in sweats with no make up and my hair up. YEP you guessed it, it's on facebook for everyone to see!

Michelle said...

Eh. I enjoy Facebook, and luckily few people have posted ugly old pictures. I think someone mentioned you can untag yourself if you like. But personally, I'd rather just tell the person that I'm uncomfortable seeing the old pics of me and to please leave me untagged. They probably don't realize it.... I hope.

moosh in indy. said...

Yet another reason I'm horribly glad I was never popular in my previous life.

Lisa K said...

Oh please NO, I just signed up for this last night. Great!

 

Blog Designed by: NW Designs