Thursday, July 24, 2008

Thursday Thirteen

Happy Thursday y'all! It's been another crazy week around my house, which resulted in my not posting yesterday. I hope everyone is enjoying my new look! I know that I am. If you scroll down on the right side, you'll see my new Monday Morning Eye Candy badge. Feel free to put it on your blog if you're so inclined. I'm working on next week's installment already and it's going to be fabulous!

So, I'm feeling very inspired to do a Thursday Thirteen today because of all the interest that was generated regarding my encounter with River Phoenix that I mentioned here. You'll have to come back tomorrow to read the actual story of that encounter, but here's something to tide you over until then.

Thirteen Facts About River Phoenix


1. We shared the same birthday month. August. When I was growing up, I hated having an August birthday because it always conflicted with back to school. Hence, I NEVER had birthday parties growing up because the parents were too busy with getting ready for school stuff and my friends were always on the final summer vacations. I figured River probably felt my pain and suffered the same misfortune.

2. He played the guitar. I don't know what it is about guys and guitars, but it's hot. He was a good singer too.

3. He was in the first rated-R movie that I ever saw. A Night in the Life of Jimmy Reardon. Now, this was not a cinematic achievement (actually it's a pretty crappy movie), but he looked so good in it.

4. His name is actually River. His parents were hippies, so this isn't too surprising. His siblings include Summer, Rainbow & Liberty. And let's not forget his little brother Joaquin. I could do a whole list on why I love his brother too.

5. The hair. When he grew it out, he had the most gorgeous hair. Sandy blonde and kind of wavy. Kind of like my hubby's. Hmmmm.....

6. He stars in one of my all time fave movies: Stand By Me. If you've never seen it, you simply must get it TODAY.

7. He was an environmentalist. He actually bought up acreage in Costa Rica & Brazil so that it would never be developed.

8. He was an animal rights activist and a staunch vegetarian. He once told a reporter that he wouldn't eat a hamburger even if you paid him $40,000. I, on the other hand, would eat the whole cow for $40,000.

9. He claimed that he had a vision of his future wife and carried around a sketch of her in his wallet. Sadly, he died before the year he thought he would meet her in.

10. He spoke Spanish fluently. I love bilingual guys.

11. He was good friends with Michael Stipe, the lead singer of R.E.M. I love that band. R.E.M. album "Monster" is actually dedicated to River. He died the year before it was released.

12. Two of the acting gigs, that River had lined up prior to his death, were ultimately given to Leonardo Dicaprio. There are many times that I see Leo acting and get this weird chill like I'm watching River.

13. Despite his movie star status and his soapbox for clean living, he was deeply flawed. He was a chain-smoker and a drug addict, as it turns out. He died from a drug overdose in 1993.

So, there are some interesting tidbits about River. Come back tomorrow for the story on how I met this guy and what he was ACTUALLY like in person.

6 comments:

Laurie said...

Happy Birthday.
What a neat post. I will have to come back and see how you met. That sounds like a great story.

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

Why am I not capable of a cliff hanger? Or is it hangar? Whatever. Love this list. I just thought he was great. And Joaquin. Is the new Monday Morning eye candy featuring him? And him alone? Sigh.

Cannot wait to read all about the big meet.

Kelly said...

I can't remember if I commented before, but I love the new look!!! Turned out great!

Angela said...

I also can't wait to hear the RP story, because I have totally forgotten it. And that's just sad! I do want to join the nominations for Joaquin Phoenix to be featured on MMEC too!

Michelle said...

I so miss River Phoenix. I had such a huge crush on him. Maybe this is why I don't like him. He reminds me that River is gone.

Mmmmm the hair!

I can't wait to hear your story!

Unknown said...

AND Joaquin used to go by the name Leaf when he was a child actor...

 

Blog Designed by: NW Designs