Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Anatomy of a Birthday Party

We have attended a lot of birthday parties this year. I love kids birthday parties! I'm not sure why, because I'm quite sure I'm in the minority here. I think it might have something to do with the fact that I only had one birthday party as a kid and so now I'm living vicariously.

I tend to go way overboard with my own kids parties each year, so I'm always on the lookout for new ideas. This party in particular was for our friend Paige and her brilliant mommy went the route of holding it in a park. Here's how this little shindig went.

First, it's always important to choose just the right outfit. Keep in mind where the event is being held and what activities you might be participating in. Big A goes an interesting route with a WHITE dress. Hmm, we'll see how that choice comes into play shortly.

Little A goes more traditional with a sleeveless top and bloomers. Both girls appear ready for festivities.


It's a beautiful sunny day. We're ready to party! Paige's mommy brought an assortment of party games that the kiddos thoroughly enjoyed. Big A enjoyed chasing bubbles all over the place.

Little A got back to nature and channeled her inner bear. I see a lot of tree climbing in this girl's future.

And after a stirring rendition of "Happy Birthday" was sung, the kids dug into the cupcakes. I love cupcakes rather than a traditional cake. Kids aren't fighting over who has the bigger slice or more icing. I had the baby wipes on standby as Little A went to battle with her blue icing.

Daddy, however, wasn't quite as thoughtful. Big A wreaked some major havoc on this dress with her green icing. I was praying to the stain removal gods the whole way home.

And finally, the party favors. I have lost many a nights sleep over trying to figure out what to send the kids home with. I usually run into the problem of having a large age range of kids at my parties, so it's hard to just stick with 1 kind of favor. However, Paige's mom & dad hit this one out of the park. (No pun intended) All of the kids went home with these huge Life Is Good inflatable beach balls. Perfect summer birthday party favor! Here's Little A enjoying her ball.
And Big A enjoys her ball too! Notice the balls are different colors? Very important in keeping the harmony in this house. So as not to mistakenly let the sister play with your toy.


We all had a lovely time at the party and wish Paige a very happy birthday!

8 comments:

Rhea said...

Great party favors!! Parties in the park are fun...and definitely NOT a white dress event. hehe

Your daughters are so adorable!

Angela said...

Man they are just growing up so fast!!! GAahhhh!! Great pics! And looks like it was a beautiful day!

anonymous mom said...

I love a kids birthday party too. As a parent, one of my greatest joys is creating birthday memories for my kids. They are kids once and birthday parties are just part of being a kid...right? Cute pics and I love a white dress.

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

You mean you didn't use your veto power on the white dress? I am impressed :-)

And can I just say that I despise party favors? We never give them out...mostly because I end up throwing away what my kids bring home. Mostly because it's left on the floor of my van. But a ball...now that is a cool idea...

Angie's Spot said...

Rhea: The beach balls were brilliance! White dress, not so much. And thanks for the props! I think they're pretty adorable too.

Angela: Yes, don't remind me. ;-) We had fun!

Mykidsreg: I agree and thanks for the kind comments! Come back anytime!

Kat: Yes, I restrained and let her go with it. Thankfully, I had the shout powerstick on standby as soon as walked through the door. And I feel the same way about party favors. I try not to give crap that I wouldn't want to come into my house either.

Michelle said...

So cute! And I so detest the bright blue and yellow and green and red frosting. They and my laundry just don't get along! Good call on the wipes though!

Jennifer said...

great pics. the girls are ADORABLE!! I love the dresses!! :)

I let my kids wear whatever color they want to wear or whatever I pick to put on them... b/c we have a HUGE container of SHOUT!! I swear by that stuff... I use it on clothing and also on other stains around the house... carpet, furnature, the car... every where. it is amazing. :)

i'm glad you all enjoyed the bday party you went to. :)

great gift favor idea!! i'll have to remember that. :)

xoxoxo

Angie's Spot said...

Michelle: I never the leave the house without 2 things. My sunglasses and wipes. :-)

Jennifer: Thanks! I'm trying to loosen up on their fashion choices. I figure I had better get used to picking my battles on that front. It's only going to get worse as they get older! LOL.

 

Blog Designed by: NW Designs