Saturday, July 26, 2008

Atonement

Have you seen this movie, Atonement? Oh my stars, it's wonderful! I had the pleasure of seeing it last night (because I just couldn't bring myself to tackle my massive "to do" list).

**Warning Movie Spoilers Ahead. Stop reading now if you don't want to know key plotlines.**

First, I want to touch on a couple of observations about this film.
1. I apparently have a hard time understanding English (despite it being my ONLY language). If I could've figured out how to turn on the subtitles, I would've. I missed several lines in this film because the accents were pretty thick at times.
2. James McAvoy is my new future husband. That would, of course, require he & I both to divorce our current spouses, but I'm just sayin'. That guy is H-O-T.
3. Keira Knightley needs to eat a meal. Or a hundred. That aside, she has perfected the icy glare. She uses it several times in this film.
4. I love the English countryside. There is some GORGEOUS cinematography in this film.
5. I hate movie endings like this one ends. Ok, yes, I'm a romantic comedy genre kind of gal and I like the ending all tied up in a pretty red bow with the happy couple riding off into the sunset. This movie does NOT end like that. Bummer.

So, the plot of this movie got me thinking about the burden that Briony carried for a lifetime over the choice that she made as a teenager. Did she really get any resolution from her attempt to make things right? She really couldn't after all because the 2 people she hurt the most were gone forever. Wow, to live with that kind of guilt until you die. Awful.

And so, today I'm going to reflect on if there's anything in my life that I feel I need to "atone" for. I can think of a couple of small things that I need to apologize for and I'm definitely going to take care of that today.

Have you seen this movie or read the book? What are your thoughts?

7 comments:

Angela said...

I haven't seen this one, but I do love Keira Knightley. I agree she needs to gain a few (or twenty) pounds, but I love her acting. Loved her in Pirates too.

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

I haven't seen the movie. Mostly because I *hated* the book. Hated it so much that I threw it against a wall. I can't bring myself to watch the movie. Did you see "Becoming Jane?"

Rhea said...

I haven't read the book or seen the movie...might have to check it out.

Lisa K said...

I just watched it too. I am glad that I didn't read the book; would have been upset and disappointed. It was, however, a good message. It was just so sad it was not received in time.

Lori said...

I haven't seen the movie or read the book, and it sounds like I would've been let down by the ending if I had. But now that I've read your post and am kind of prepared for it, I think I'll have to check it out. Your post is food for thought.

Shannon said...

I have yet to see this one... just never got around to while it was at the theaters. James McAvoy is a cutie! I didn't realize he was in the 1st Narnia movie until I saw it for the second or third time.

Just Lisa said...

I liked the movie, haven't read the book yet. Yeah, it was sad, but I agreed that there's a powerful message.

 

Blog Designed by: NW Designs