Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Full Service Shopping

I know I'm getting older, when a grocery store grand opening excites me beyond words. I've been waiting for our Publix to open for months now and it did not disappoint.

The shining star for this store is their Meat Dept. Manager. And here's why.

While chatting with my friend Shannon outside the lobster tank, the Meat Dept. Manager stepped out to comment on how cute our kids are. He thanked us for shopping there today and then told us that he had been with the company since 1976. "You know, before you girls were born." Shannon & I looked at each other with disbelief. US girls? Now, I'm not saying we look old or anything, but I can safely say that it's been at LEAST 10 years since I've been carded for anything. As I wiped the tear of joy from my eye, I had to stifle the urge to hug the man.

So, Publix is officially the only store I will shop with now. And I hope the Meat Dept. Manager enjoys his balloon bouquet tomorrow. Is that going too far? Nah, I didn't think so.

9 comments:

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

No, I don't think balloons is going to far at all. He might like a piece of cookie cake, too.

Unknown said...

I probably would ahve kissed him right there on the spot.

Angela said...

Awww! I know how that kind of thing can make a woman's day. I've been carded a few times when I least expected it. I usually get double takes and odd looks when I am carded, because the picture on my license is literally 10 years old. So people give me this weird look like they think I am using an ID that makes me look younger, ostensibly so that I can appear older than 21... I have gotten used to watching them process their train of thought all the way back around to the conclusion that, duh, she must have been 21 a long time ago, like her license says... it's pretty funny.

Shannon said...

I was wondering... just how old did he think we were??? With carts full of kids? I mean, did he think we were some child-brides or something???

But it was a nice compliment :)

Lula! said...

I adore Publix...wish we had one here. Their meat department (even without the complimentary butchers!) is the best...great steaks and seafood. Wait...no, their bakery is the best.

Sigh...Publix...how I miss thee...

Brandy said...

That manager sure knows how to keep the business coming back. Flattery gets you everywhere with women.

No publix here. :-[
Boo!
But I was excited when our new Kroger opened. LOL!

Rhea said...

Balloon Bouquet and a BJ...oops, did I just say that?!

Julianne said...

SO jealous! Come on Publix! Bring your magic to Cleveland!

Michelle said...

Wow. Now that's pretty fun :) Glad the grand opening turned out so well... Sadly, I get excited about grand openings but then don't make it to them because I forget. Pathetic, I know. Congrats on the lovely compliment!

 

Blog Designed by: NW Designs