Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The World's Most Wanted...Really?

Every Sunday morning, I have this little ritual. Hubby usually lets me sleep in and then he brings me the enormous Sunday paper so I can enjoy reading through it while still in my cozy bed. I organize it all and finally make it to my Parade Magazine that I enjoy reading every week.

A couple of weeks ago, they had a cover story that I couldn't wait to read. It was entitled "The World's Most Wanted." I have this odd fascination with all things "news magazine" related. I eat up Dateline's "To Catch a Criminal" and 48 Hours Mysteries series'. I know. Let's call it morbid curiosity. Moving on.

I began reading the article and learned about some really awful people. Murderers, terrorists, masterminds behind genocides and other disgusting and horrible criminals who are still on the loose. And then I came across something that caused me to do a triple take.

One of the world's most wanted criminals is a 60 year old Russian who was indicted for, and I quote "fixing pairs skating in the '02 Olympics". Seriously? THIS guy is a world's most wanted? I mean he's on a list with Osama Bin Laden for heaven's sake.

Now, I'm not saying that what the skating guy did was minimal, but I AM asking for a little perspective here. Parade, I think you might have missed the mark on this one. Leaving this guy out of your story would've given it a lot more credibility. This guy just doesn't quite measure up to the level of evil that say, the leader of the Rwandan genocide emotes. I'm just sayin'.

6 comments:

Lula! said...

I had no idea Olympic sabatoge was such serious business.

Brandy said...

Yeah I saw that too and thought it was kinda odd. Actually you would think that the people on the list would be more awful. Like Bin Laden...

They were bad...and I guess they were trying to give us some variety but I just thought some of the crimes were a little "tame" to be included in the Most Wanted list.

Unknown said...

I saw the article never read it. I did look at the pictures and one guy had his terrorist group tatooed (sp?) on his forehead. I was like really we can't find him?

Angela said...

Seriously. This drove my husband NUTS!!! He kept reading me the descriptions as I was trying to read the comics. LOL

Michelle said...

Wait. You get to sleep in AND read the paper in bed? Just don't tell me you get breakfast in bed, too.

Angela said...

I agree - this makes no sense. The fixing of sports judging simply doesn't compare to war crimes.

But now that your Parade habit is out, ya KNOW I'm gonna rag you for it, LOL! You seriously read that stuff woman? ;-)

 

Blog Designed by: NW Designs