Anyway, this music deluge has got me thinking of what some of my favorite songs of all time are. The list is WAY LONGER than 13 songs and pretty diverse. So, with that, I bring you:
Thirteen of Angie's All-Time Favorite Songs
- Extraordinary by Liz Phair - I stumbled onto this song upon seeing the movie Raising Helen. Cute movie starring the lovely John Corbett. The lyrics remind me of how I've felt about someone before. And I'm definitely your "Average every day sane psycho supergoddess".
- This is the Time by Billy Joel - This song makes me so nostalgic for my senior year of high school. My school required each senior to give a speech to the entire school before she could graduate and I played this song as part of my speech. I performed the lyrics in sign language while the song played. Geez, I'm getting misty just thinking about it.
- Electric Blue by Icehouse - This was one of my favorite songs of 1987. It was 7th grade and the era of big hair rockstars. This Aussie band wasn't hugely popular, but this will always be one of my top 10 songs.
- Blaze of Glory by Jon Bon Jovi - Ok, first of all, how hawt is JBJ?! And the movie that this song went with. Oh my, swoon! Quite possibly one of the best looking casts, EVER.
- Desert Rose by Sting - Cheb Mami is the featured vocalist on this song and I can only describe it as hauntingly beautiful. It sends chills up my spine every time I hear it.
- Policy of Truth by Depeche Mode - Another trip down memory lane for my junior high school days. I thought I was so cool to like Depeche Mode. Now, I just like them for being great artists.
- If You Leave by OMD - Ok, anyone my age who doesn't love this song needs to have their head examined. It conjures up all kinds of John Hughes stunning filmography. Pretty in Pink anyone?
- Landslide (the Dixie Chicks version) - I think that Stevie Nicks original version of this was great, but the Chicks bring something different to this song. Natalie Maines has got a voice that I just adore.
- Don't Feel Like Dancing by Scissor Sisters - My brother introduced me to this group on vacation last year and I've been addicted to this song ever since. And for the record, this song ALWAYS makes me feel like dancing.
- Hey Ya by Outkast - Speaking of songs that make we want to dance. Words can't express how much I LOVE this song. And the video is a riot too.
- Baby's Coming Back by Jellyfish - Raise your hand if you've ever heard of this group. Yeah, that's what I thought. They were AWESOME back in the early 90's. They had a small bit of popularity, which is a shame. The band pretty well self-imploded, which is also a shame. Their lead guitarist, Jason Falkner, put out a GREAT lullaby cd called Bedtime With the Beatles. My girls still listen to it.
- When You Say Nothing At All (the Allison Krauss version) - This woman has a voice like an angel. Enough said.
- The Impression That I Get by Mighty Mighty Bosstones - The horns section in this song just makes me smile. It's definitely a great dancing song!
And there you have it. Just a small peek into my musical brain. This was so much fun, that we just might have a few more installments of this particular Thursday Thirteen theme. Oh, and if you're interested in hearing any of these songs, my music player over on the left has been updated. Enjoy!