Thursday, September 2, 2010

Expectations

Today was one of those days when I felt like I needed to put my "parenting fail" t-shirt on and parade around town. It had started out so wonderfully. I had a fun morning of sharing music with other families and then scored a great deal on a couple of gorgeous dresses for my girls. After a leisurely lunch at home, I arrived at school to pick up my younger daughter first.

Her teacher took me aside and told me that Little A was completely withdrawn today, which is very unusual. Neither she nor her assistant could get anything out of Little A as to what the problem was, so it was now left to me to get to the bottom of the issue. No amount of gentle prodding was getting me any answers, so I let it go. We picked up Big A and headed to a local toy store for Big A's music lesson.

On our way home, Little A started crying and told me that she was very upset with me because during sharing time at school today, all of her classmates had photos of their bedrooms to share with the class, except for her. And then my heart broke. I had taken the photos and not had a chance to develop them yet and totally forgot about it.

I put a lot of pressure on myself to live up to a certain standard as a full-time mom. There are so many things that I try to make happen and at the top of that list is to make sure that my kids never feel left out of a situation, especially in the classroom. I really let her down this time and it's so painful.

I know that she's probably already over it and I've got her pictures ready for class tomorrow, but it'll be a long time before I forget the look on her face and that little voice cracking as she expressed her disappointment in me. These are the moments of parenting that I'm glad are few and far between.

Thank goodness tomorrow is a new day with a clean slate and the opportunity to live up to my own expectations.

7 comments:

Heather said...

This is one definite disadvantage of the digital camera...not printing out photos. I am often a fail at this part.

Don't be too hard on yourself, Angie. I know she was disappointed, but honestly, you are a fabulous mom in all the areas that truly count. You love your babies fiercely, you care for them endlessly, and you appreciate them for the gift that they are. If you didn't fail once in a while, you'd be accused of cheating :)

Here's to a new day!

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Everybody makes mistakes. Our kids need to learn that even moms and dads forget things. Also, maybe she'll remember this for the next sharing time and be more in charge of bringing her stuff to school? It's possible. Stranger things have happened...

Hugs to you. I know how bad I can feel over something so seemingly small...

Shelley said...

Don't be too hard on yourself Angie. It is hard to feel that you have caused even an iota of discomfort to one of our little ones. That being said, they do have to be prepared to face things in life that are not always advantageous to them.
It still hurts, but it can be chalked up to a learning experience.
I am so glad that God's mercy is new every day for me. Cause I wear that "fail" shirt a lot the older mine get.

Unknown said...

I agree with the other ladies. I know it was hard to see that look on her face. But in a few days, she's not going to remember. I PROMISE you when she's 34 she's not going to be sitting on a couch telling someone about her mom forgetting their pictures.

And too... it's hard to watch our kids learn life lessons, but in the end, it'd be SO MUCH HARDER to see our kids unable to cope with all that life throws at them as an adult if they hadn't learned the lessons.

You're a GREAT mom Ang. Those a 2 VERY lucky girls!!!!

Shannon said...

Why are we so hard on ourselves? Just one more joy of motherhood, I guess... ;)

Hopefully today is a better day!

Julie H said...

Well occassionally we forget something, you just have to chalk it up to being human :)

brainella said...

We are so hard on ourselves. No matter how many times we manage to get it right, we only remember when we get it wrong. :) You are an amazing mother. Never forget that.

 

Blog Designed by: NW Designs