Thursday, September 30, 2010

Book Review: I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell

**Warning: This post contains a lot of bad language. If you're easily offended, skip this entry.

I can't think of any time in my reading history that I've ever been completely embarrassed to be seen in public with a specific book. Apparently there's a first time for everything.

"I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell" is Tucker Max's memoir of drinking to excess, amusing one-liners, and lots of one-night stands. I really can't even say why I picked this book up, but honestly, I'm not sorry that I did.

Tucker is a self-admitted asshole and after reading this book, I have to completely agree with him. I've never been so aghast at the behavior of one person and yet so completely in awe of him. Tucker is the kind of guy who will not only insult you mercilessly, but he will do it so articulately that all you can do is stand there and stutter. It's infuriating.

Tucker is not a stupid guy. He's well educated and a great writer, which is very evident in his storytelling. It's the content of those stories that will be a major turn off to people. Guys are predictably his main audience, but there is a small portion of women (like me) who actually find his stories to be hilarious.

My favorite quote from the book is this: “Ladies, let me give you some advice. You can throw all your stupid fucking chick-lit, self-help, why-doesn’t-he-love-me books out, because this is all you need to know: Men will treat you the way you let them. There is no such thing as “deserving” respect; you get what you demand from people. Let a guy fuck you in the ass, come on your back, drink all your beer and then leave, and he’ll do it. But if you demand respect, he will either respect you or he won’t associate with you. It really is that simple.”

This would be the "tough love" version of "He's Just Not That into You".

To sum things up, I loved this book. I thought it was funny, well-written and frankly, I'm looking forward to reading his new book that just came out yesterday. However, there are a few things I should note.

- If you are easily offended, you will not like this book.
- If you are not easily offended, you still might not like this book.
- If you are a female, you probably won't like this book.

And if you want to be added to my waiting list of friends who have already asked to borrow my copy, let me know. I promise I won't tell a soul.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I never have picked up this book, but I thought the movie was hilarious. He may be crude, but he's absolutely right. Men are creatures who will do exactly what you let them. My motto: Either accept it and work with it, or quit complaining.

I've been meaning to do a post on the movie and I'm really glad you put this on here.

Have a great day!

Karen said...

I will now have to go find this book...it just sounds too intriging!

Thanks for the review.

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

Oh, Tucker Max. The book is hilarious...I am still in need of some brain bleach though :-)

CrystalChick said...

I'll have to remember this book for the next time I'm in Barnes looking for something interesting. Good review!

CaraBee said...

I knew about the book and the movie, but hadn't known anyone that had actually read it. I thought it was an interesting premise, I didn't realize how funny it might be. I'll check it out!

Rhea said...

Wow. That was a poetic and raunchy quote, but I like it. LOL

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

A book for my library list, for sure!

Also, I love listening to young, single, childless men rant about their wisdom. It cracks me up.

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

But he has a damn good point about the respect.

 

Blog Designed by: NW Designs