Sunday, September 19, 2010

Book Review: One Day by David Nicholls



I just finished reading "One Day" by David Nicholls and I literally had to catch my breath. Mostly because I typically don't like these types of story endings, but for some reason, this one I was ok with. No spoilers here!

The story is set in Britain, where we meet Emma Morley & Dexter Mayhew as they have just graduated from university. After, what appears to be a one night stand on July 15th, 1988, these 2 individuals manage to stay in touch. Each chapter in the book is a snapshot at what is going on in these characters lives on July 15, every year after their original rendezvous. We see their relationship evolve through job changes, life changes, ups and downs.

Personally, I really liked this book. It took me about 3 chapters to become sincerely invested in the characters, but once I was, I hated to put this book down. I yearned to know what would happen next to Em & Dex. Sometimes I found myself rooting for them to get together and other times, I couldn't imagine them spending another moment in life together.

I didn't find this to be a predictable story and I found it very engaging. I'm excited that it's movie adaptation is being filmed right now and I'm so glad they're keeping the story in Britain!

I'm giving this book 4 out of 5 stars. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

2 comments:

Heather said...

This is on my "TO READ" list! Thanks for the great review!

Shannon said...

I'll have to borrow this one from you when I'm done with WforE!

 

Blog Designed by: NW Designs