1. What did you do in 2011 that you'd never done before?
I went to Disney World for a 10 day trip with my BFF and another close friend of ours! One of these days I'll actually recap that trip, because it was fantastic.
2. Did you keep your New Year's resolutions and will you make more for next year?
I successfully marked some things off the 101 Goals list that is ongoing, but I've stopped making resolutions for the most part. Something about setting myself up for failure has grown tiresome.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My oldest friend (meaning that I've known & loved her for over 30 years now) gave birth to her first child this past March. He is a doll and I wish I got to visit with them both more often!
4. Did anyone close to you die?
I made several visits to the funeral home this year, but the 1 that affected me the most was the passing of my, just mentioned, oldest friend's dad. That funeral was heartbreaking because I know how close they were and he was someone that has been in my life since I was a teenager. He will truly be missed by many.
5. What countries did you visit?
The USA didn't get rid of me even once this year.
6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
More financial stability and dedication. De-ja-vu anyone?
7. What dates from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
August 19th because it was my birthday and I had started my new job at the kids school. This was the first time in my entire life that I was "in school" on my birthday. The principal announced my birthday during the morning announcements and hubby & the kids decorated my office with a huge card, flowers and presents. It meant so much to me!
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Finally buying a minivan and actually loving to drive it!
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not making the dent in our debt snowball that I was hoping to make. That effort is going to be seriously ramped up in 2012.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
My bulging disc gives me trouble every now & then, but aside from that, things have been pretty darn good.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My hubby for finally relenting and going to the dr to have his back problem addressed. It resulted in surgery, but we're all feeling much happier now that he's healthy again.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Our local school board who continues to make decisions based on their own personal agendas rather than the betterment of the community they supposedly represent.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Medical Bills, eating out way too much and wow, I have nothing to complain about.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
The first was seeing Kings of Leon in concert with my BFF for the 3rd time and the second was landing a fantastic job that I'm actually happy to go to each and every day!
16. What song will always remind you of 2011?
"Good Life" by OneRepublic
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a)happier or sadder; b)thinner or fatter; c)richer or poorer?
I am happier, fatter and poorer.
18. What do you wish you had done more of?
Exercise and eating better.
19. What do you wish you had done less of?
Telling my kids what to do rather than showing them.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
We started with Christmas Eve dinner & presents at my parents house, then spent Christmas morning at home opening gifts and then I fixed breakfast for us and my parents who came over. It was a lazy and fabulous day!
21. Did you fall in love in 2011?
If you can count falling in love with a minivan as something, then yes, 100%.
22. What was your favorite tv program?
I discovered a couple of new shows that are at the top of my favorites list. They are Justified, Once Upon A Time and Downton Abbey.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
There are people I strongly dislike, but I don't hate anyone. And nobody new for sure.
24. What was the best book you read?
"If You Were Here" by Jen Lancaster.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
My deep and abiding love for Adele has grown incredibly strong. I'm also a new fan of Mumford & Sons.
26. What did you want and get?
27. What did you want and not get?
To book a trip to London for 2012.
28. What was your favorite film of 2011?
I really enjoyed Crazy Stupid Love (and Ryan Gosling's abs). Ahem.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 36 this year and aside from the awesomeness that hubby & the kids did in my office, that was pretty much it. It was definitely a memorable bday, but I'm still holding out for a surprise party one of these years.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
I really wish we could have sold our old house, but at least we got it under contract with the hopes of completing the sale sometime in the next few years. In the mean time, we have some fantastic renters!
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept of 2011?
Oversized and black.
32. What kept you sane?
Some great music and some great books!
33. What political issue stirred you the most?
I keep my political ire pretty close to the vest, but this year, the nonsense that is Rick Perry was hard to ignore. What a putz.
34. Who did you miss?
I miss my brother and how close we used to be. Now that he lives 10 hours away from me and has a family of his own and a successful job, we just don't talk anymore. I need to make more of an effort to be a better communicator.
35. Who was the best new person you met?
My office mate, our school bookkeeper, is a fantastic lady and I'm so glad I have a wonderful person to share an office with!
36. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.
First impressions generally don't mislead. Trust your instincts from those impressions.
37. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"Oh, this has gotta be the good life, this has gotta be the good life, this could really be a good life, good life" - Good Life by OneRepublic
Happy New Year everyone!!