Monday, February 15, 2010

Angie's Book Review Corner


Lost & Found
by Jacqueline Sheehan

I have picked up and put down this book for MONTHS. Part of it is the book's fault because it just didn't grab me right out of the gate like others have. To be fair, this one was competing with the Twilight series for a while, which wasn't exactly a fair fight. (please tell me I'm not the only person out here who reads multiple books at once?)

As you can tell by the cover art, this is another novel that falls into my "canine lit" genre. However, even though the dog is a central character, his voice isn't expressed until the very end of the book. Our main character, Rocky, is a recently widowed psychologist who drops everything to move to a remote island off the coast of Portland, Maine. (HOLLA!!)

Rocky meets some eccentric locals, takes on a brand new job and begins a journey of self-discovery that challenges her to find the strength within herself.

Overall, the book was decent, but I felt like it moved really slow until I got to the midpoint. And I did not like how quickly the pace moved during the last 4 chapters of the book. I felt like the author was nearing the "end" of the story and made a mad dash to get in all this final action to wrap up everything in a neat package.

My final assessment is 3 out of 5 paws.

One final note is that I was not surprised to discover that this book has been optioned for a movie. While reading the last half, I kept imagining these characters on the big screen and could totally see it. I think as a movie, so much more of the story could be expanded and I think the story could flow so much better.

No comments:

 

Blog Designed by: NW Designs