Sunday, December 30, 2012

2012 - A Year in Review


I've done this meme for the last 2 years, courtesy of inspiration from a blog that I enjoy very much called Playgroups Are No Place for Children. Here is my 3rd installment of this fun look back on the year!

1. What did you do in 2012 that you'd never done before?
I started working at a bakery and made items that people bought and enjoyed.  It was very fulfilling!

2. Did you keep your New Year's resolutions and will you make more for next year?
I'm going to echo exactly how I answered this last year.  I successfully marked some things off the 101 Goals list that is ongoing, but I've stopped making resolutions for the most part. Something about setting myself up for failure has grown tiresome.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My oldest friend (meaning that I've known and loved her for over 30 years now) gave birth to her second child this past November. I actually know several people who had babies this year, which is great because I love to live vicariously through them since we're done with having babies.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
I made a couple of trips to the funeral home this year, but not for anyone that was close to me.

5. What countries did you visit?
I didn't step outside the USA this year.

6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?
More financial stability and dedication.

7. What dates from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
The end of November because Jake was called out of town at the last minute, resulting in the girls and I decorating our Christmas tree alone.  The tree fell 3 times, shattering almost every single glass ornament that we owned and had collected over 18 years together.  It broke my heart, but I'm learning not to put so much stock into holding onto things.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Going to Disney World with my family and seeing my girls truly enjoy the experience.

9. What was your biggest failure?
Not making the dent in our debt snowball that I was hoping to make.  Medical debt seems like a hole we're never going to climb out of.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
My bulging disc gives me trouble every now and then.  I developed a horrible skin infection after our trip to Disney World, which nearly resulted in surgery to resolve, but thankfully it finally cleared up.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
My favorite new acquisition this year was my iPad, but it was a gift from my Dad.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My youngest daughter put a gift under the Christmas tree for us this year that was 100% from her beautiful heart.  It was addressed to mommy & daddy and it said "I love you very much and I wish to never grow up".  I'm a big Christmas morning crier anyway because nothing makes me happier than seeing the joy on my kids faces.  However, when I saw my hubby tearing up before he handed me my daughter's note, I knew I was in trouble!

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Politicians routinely appall me and since this was a major election year, there are just too many people to choose from.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Bills, bills, Disney World, bills...

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Our Disney World trip this past October!

16. What song will always remind you of 2012?
"I Won't Give Up" by Jason Mraz

17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a)happier or sadder; b)thinner or fatter; c)richer or poorer?
I am sadder, a little thinner and poorer.

18. What do you wish you had done more of?
Gone to the gym.

19. What do you wish you had done less of?
Overscheduled myself.  I need to learn that slowing down doesn't mean I have to go into ultimate lazy mode.

20. How did you spend Christmas?
Christmas morning was spent at our house, opening presents with the kids and then my parents came over for a big breakfast with us.  That evening, we had dinner at my parents house after my brother & his family came in from out of town.  It was a lovely day.

21. Did you fall in love in 2012?
We fell in love with the newest member of our family, Scotty!  He is Big A's dog and an adorable long-haired red dachshund.

22. What was your favorite tv program?
This is a really hard one to answer because I watch a LOT of tv.  My favorite new show would have to be Duck Dynasty.  That show is HILARIOUS!

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
There are people I strongly dislike, but I don't hate anyone. And nobody new for sure.

24. What was the best book you read?
This year it was "Room" by Emma Donoghue.  Such a sad story, but very well written.

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I am a new fan of Phillip Phillips, the guy who won American Idol this year.  I was also delighted to discover that Little A is a pretty good piano player as she started lessons this year!

26. What did you want and get?
A trip to Disney World!

27. What did you want and not get?
To work on the landscaping at my house and replace my roof.

28. What was your favorite film of 2012?
It would have to be a tie between "Brave" and "Dr. Seuss's The Lorax".  Both were seen with my kids and both made all of us cry (in a good way).

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 37 this year and it was pretty much just another typical day.  I think hubby & I went out to dinner, but I'm not 100% sure.  I have officially given up on getting a surprise party now.

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Being significantly closer to getting out of debt.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept of 2012?
I'm all about the comfort!  Jeans and t-shirts for this girl.

32. What kept you sane?
Spending so much time with my Girl Scout troop and working towards our family Disney trip.

33. What political issue stirred you the most?
I don't let many political issues get me riled up.

34. Who did you miss?
I miss seeing my nephew grow up.  Spending the last few days with him has been great, but reminds me how much I really miss him when he's 10 hours away.

35. Who was the best new person you met?
My bakery co-worker, Tammy, is the best new person I met.  She's very down to earth and funny and I enjoy working with her so much!

36. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012.
"The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them." - Maya Angelou

37. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"The trouble it might drag you down, If you get lost you can always be found, Just know you're not alone, Cause I'm going to make this place your home." - Phillip Phillips

1 comment:

 

Blog Designed by: NW Designs