Monday, December 31, 2012

The final wrap up of my 101 Things in 1,001 Days Project

In April 2010, I came up with a list of 101 things that I wanted to accomplish in 1,001 days. I didn’t accomplish everything on my list or even nearly as much as I would’ve liked, but the experience was great and I’m definitely going to start a new list.  Here’s how my final list wraps up as of 12/31/2012.

Home Improvement Goals
1. Decorate my house - This particular goal was pretty broad, so I’m going to own this one by calling it complete as of Dec 2011.  I finally managed to decorate my entire house for the holidays and it felt great!
2. Clean desk - I cleaned it in Dec 2010.
3. Keep desk organized for 3 months - I didn’t succeed in keeping this for 3 months in a row, but I made strides on keeping things more organized for longer periods of time, which is progress!
4. Finish remodeling the kids bathroom - I think I’m marking this one complete by default.  I wrote this with my old house in mind and since that house is under contract with potential new owners, I don’t see us making any additional improvements.  At my new house, the kids bathroom is in great shape, thank goodness!
5. Change the living room paint colors and window treatments -Completed in June 2010 at old house
6. Get a window treatment for the kitchen window - I wrote this with my old house in mind, but the kitchen window at my new house needs a window treatment also, so I’ll have to add this to the new list!
7. Create a manageable house cleaning schedule - I accomplished this in April 2011 and had hubby laminate it for me and everything.  I should have added that I need to implement the schedule on a regular basis.
8. Have fresh flowers on the kitchen table every week for a month -Completed December 2010 and plan to keep this up because I loved having flowers on the table
9. Decorate inside & out for Christmas - Completed December 2010 and loved every minute of it

Hobby Goals
10. Enter a photography contest - Didn’t make it happen.
11. Make a quilt - Didn’t make it happen, but found some fabulous things on Pinterest to help me accomplish this goal in the future.
12. Read 100 books - In August, I read “Gone Girl”.  (2012 book count - 11; Overall book count - 29)  This gave me some serious perspective on how fast I reader I thought I was.  This wasn’t a realistic goal and now I see that.
13. Go to a book signing - My BFF Shannon & I went to see our FAVE author, Jen Lancaster at a book signing in Atlanta in May 2011.  It was AWESOME!
14. Read all of the Harry Potter books - I have finished books 1 through 4 and am currently reading book 5.  I’ve been “reading” book 5 for MONTHS now.  It’s the longest in the series and the most boring, in my opinion.  However, I’m determined to finish the series, so I’m going to keep pushing on and will eventually finish this!
15. Join a book club - I joined an online book club on Goodreads in October 2011.  I’ve waned on keeping up with the group and am happy to be joining a local book club in January.
16. Learn to knit or crochet - I bought a book to teach myself and actually sat down and started working at it.  I need to devote more time to it and then I feel like I’ll pick it up quickly.
17. Knit or crochet a blanket - Not yet!
18. Craft with friends at least once a month - Got together with friends on several occasions to craft but not with consistency each month
19. Finish my Wreck This Journal - Did not happen.
20. Learn how to use my sewing machine - Did not happen, but I found a local store who offers inexpensive classes that I’m hoping to take sometime in the near future.
21. Sew a dress for each of my children - Did not happen.
22. Learn a new language - I’m determined to save up for some Rosetta Stone software so I can learn Spanish at home.  I also want to learn French!
23. Finish the cross stitch piece I started for my wedding - I finished it!!!  February 2012
24. Enroll in a pottery class - I had it booked at my alma mater and they cancelled the class the day before it was supposed to start.  Boo!
25. Print my blog in book form - I printed the book of entries for 2011, but I still want to order the other years of entries.  It’s a little pricey, but I’ll get there eventually!  
26. Enroll in a cake decorating class - I checked into this several times and could never work out the timing with my ridiculous schedule.  I’m hoping that while the kids are in camp this summer that I’ll be able to fit one of these classes in.
27. Take a photography class & learn how to use my camera - Same problem as the cake decorating class.  I’m hoping to be able to fit this in sometime next Fall from our local community college.
28. Blog twice a week - I did this sporadically throughout the project.
29. Cross stitch the Rainbow Bridge poem - Did not happen
30. Finish a heritage scrapbook for my mom - Did not happen
31. Finish a heritage scrapbook for my dad - Did not happen

Health & Exercise Goals
32. Get a massage - Completed August 2010
33. Stop biting my fingernails - Completed August 2010
34. Take a cooking class - Did not happen
35. Start a skincare routine - Completed August 2010 (but need to do a better job of keeping up with it regularly)
36. Exercise 5 days a week for a month - I did this in April 2012 and feel so much better!
37. Run a 5k - Did not happen, but am really hoping to do a Color Run next year.
38. Treat myself to a massage after losing 30lbs total - I did this in April 2012!
39. Treat myself to a massage after losing 60lbs total - I haven’t lost the weight yet.
40. Enjoy a new wardrobe after meeting my weight loss goal - I haven’t lost the weight yet.
41. Donate all of my old clothes after meeting my weight loss goal - I did donate a lot of my old clothes that I never wanted to get back into.  I look forward to donating even more as I continue the weight loss journey.
42. Get down to 120lbs - Not even close yet.
43. Maintain my goal weight of 120lbs for at least 3 months - I have to get there first!
44. Go on a horseback ride that involves galloping - Did not happen
45. Take my dog to the dog park once a week - Did not happen.  I’m such a bad dog mom.
46. Take my dog on a walk twice a week - Did not happen.
47. Play in a disc golf tournament - Did not happen
48. Go 7 days without eating junk food snacks - Completed September 2010
49. Eat 5 things that I've never tried before - I tried guacamole in October of 2010.  I tried zucchini for the first time in August 2011 and it was ok.  I tried asparagus in February of 2012 and I liken it to eating weeds.  Bleh.  I ate broccoli (raw & cooked) in April 2012.  I like it raw!  I tried hummus for the first time this year and it wasn’t half bad.  

Outdoors Goals
50. Go camping - My husband & Girl Scout co-leader talked me into taking my Daisy scouts camping in April 2012 and I’m very surprised to say that I enjoyed it!  This was my first time camping since I was about 12 years old.  Yay, me!
51. Grow an herb garden - Bought an herb garden in May 2010 and managed not to kill it for a month which is progress. Plan to actually plant an herb garden at our new house eventually.
52. Start a compost pile in the backyard - Did not happen
53. Landscape my front yard - Completed in June 2010 at old house
54. Build a flower box & plant flowers in it - Did not happen

Personal Goals
55. Get a tattoo - I picked out the exact one that I want but I haven’t taken the plunge yet.
56. Get a professional bra fitting - I want to lose the majority of weight before I do this.
57. Get my passport - Hasn’t happened yet.
58. Volunteer at an animal shelter - I took my Daisy Girl Scout troop to a local animal shelter in October 2011 and we made food toys for the cats and dogs.  It was awesome!
59. Become a published author - I’m totally claiming a win here since I printed my blog in book form and it’s professionally bound and pretty with a dedication page and table of contents and the whole nine yards.  That’s not too much of a stretch, right?!
60. Throw a dinner party - Completed November 2010 when we hosted Thanksgiving here for some wonderful friends who are like family
61. Watch Gone with the Wind - Did not happen
62. See Josh Groban in concert - Completed in June 2011 and he was GREAT!
63. Start a review blog - Completed in April 2010
64. Take singing lessons - Did not happen
65. Move to a bigger house - Completed in July 2010
66. Finish my will - Did not happen.  Shame on me.
67. Inspire someone else to make their own list - Completed in April 2010
68. Learn to drive a stick shift - Did not happen
69. Go whale watching - Did not happen
70. Ride in a limo - Did not happen
71. Go to see 2 concerts - Went to see Kings of Leon with my BFF Shannon in November 2010 and August 2011; Went to see Bon Jovi with my friend Valerie in May 2011
72. Volunteer in my community - I have been volunteering a TON with my kids school, so I totally think this counts.
73. Stay organized for 3 months - This was too broad of an item.
74. Watch a movie at a drive-in theater - Did not happen
75. Buy a pair of boots - Did not happen
76. Learn to wear/walk in heels - Did not happen and I no longer have the aspiration to make this happen.  
77. Buy a watch & actually wear it - I bought a cheap watch at Target, in June 2011, and I wore it faithfully until it kicked the bucket.  I need to get my nice Mickey Mouse watch fixed!
78. Go to Disney World with my hubby & kids - We went in October 2012!!
79. Get the interview with my grandparents converted to DVD - I finally did this and picked up the DVD’s in January 2012!  This means a lot to me because this is the only video that my family has of my grandparents.  My grandfather passed away more than a decade ago and I’m glad that I now have something to show my girls what a great person he was.
80. Book a trip to London - Did not happen
81. Assist in growing our Kindermusik program by 100% - I helped accomplish growing our program significantly before I left in August 2011.  It was a tough decision to leave, but the best for me & my family.
82. Apply to be on the Amazing Race - Did not happen
83. Play my own lottery numbers - Completed in May 2010
84. But a ticket for a dream home giveaway - Did not happen and probably never will now since we’ve bought a fantastic home that we never want to leave!
85. Sing karaoke at a bar/club - I need to do those singing lessons first.
86. Use my bread maker - Did not happen
87. Send my grandma a card once a week - Did not happen, but I’ve bought the cards and will make a concerted effort to make this happen next year.
88. Be debt free (except for the house) - We’re making progress but still have a ways to go.
89. Apply for membership with the DAR - Hasn’t happened yet, but the wheels are in motion
90. Own a minivan - I am the proud owner of a Toyota Sienna as of August 2011!!
91. Dye a blue streak in my hair - Missed the opportunity window last summer, so this is definitely going to happen next summer
92. Go 3 days without getting online - Completed in July 2010
93. Go an entire day without watching tv - Completed in July 2010
94. Have a professional photo shoot done of just me - I want to lose the weight first
95. Buy myself a Dooney & Bourke or Coach purse - To reward myself for surviving Week 1 of this new diet, I bought myself a Coach purse that I’ve had my eye on for 2 years!
96. Go on a horse drawn carriage ride with my family - We took a carriage ride together in Charleston, SC in July 2011.
97. Play miniature golf - Completed in November 2010 when hubby & I played the new "Glow Golf" course in town and had a blast
98. Take dinner to a friend - Completed in May 2010
99. Give a compliment to a complete stranger - I told the drive-thru barista at Starbucks that his glasses looked nice, in November 2011.
100. Save all of my coin change for 3 months & deposit it into my kids savings accounts - Did not happen, but definitely will be on the next list
101. Write a new list of 101 things in 1,001 days at the end of this project - The new list will debut in a couple of days!

2 comments:

Shannon said...

I think I have until the 7th to finish my list. Heh. That is soooo not gonna happen.

brainella said...

Dang! You did A LOT of stuff. That's great. I'm jealous. :)

 

Blog Designed by: NW Designs